This tasty granola is packed with Omega-3s, antioxidants, protein and fiber. It can be eaten with almond or rice milk as a breakfast cereal or sprinkled over fresh fruit or vegan yogurt for extra crunch.
5 cups gluten-free rolled oats
2/3 cup flax meal
2/3 cup almond meal
2/3 cup slivered almonds
2/3 cup walnuts, chopped
2/3 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
2 Tbs sunflower seeds
1 Tbs sesame seeds
1 tsp salt (optional)
1/2 cup soy-free, dairy-free vegan shortening
1/4 cup maple sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbs maple syrup
1 Tbs gluten-free vanilla
1 Tbs cinnamon
2/3 cup dried cranberries
2/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup dried wild blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 325°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine rolled oats, flax meal, almond meal, slivered almonds, chopped walnuts, pepitas, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and salt in a large bowl.
3. In a saucepan over low heat, melt Earth Balance. Blend in maple sugar, stirring until sugar crystals have melted. Add maple syrup, honey, vanilla and cinnamon. Stir until the mixture comes to a boil. Drizzle liquid into oat mixture, folding in until the oat mixture is thoroughly coated.
4. Fill each baking sheet with half of mixture and spread mixture over each sheet to an even thickness. Bake 20 minutes until lightly browned.
5. Removed baking sheets from oven and allow to cool. Put cooled granola in a large bowl breaking up really big clusters. Mix in cranberries, raisins and blueberries. Store in a sealed container in a dry place.
Vegan: Substitute agave nectar for honey.