3 sweet potatoes, cut in 1-inch cubes
1 + 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbs soy-free, transfat-free, vegan shortening
1 Tbs olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 carrots, sliced in 1/8″ rounds
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb ground lamb
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tsp cumin
a pinch of thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tomato, peeled and chopped
1 cup corn kernals
1 cup peas
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the bottom of an 8″ x 8″ baking dish.
2. Steam sweet potatoes for 20-30 minutes until tender. In a food processor, whip sweet potatoes with 1 tsp cinnamon and margarine. Set aside.
2. In a large frying pan, sauté onion, green pepper and carrots in olive oil for 5-7 minutes until tender. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Add lamb, breaking up large chunks and stirring occasionally until lamb is lightly browned and cooked through. Drain any excess fat left over from cooking.
3. Combine chicken broth, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, thyme and bay leaf. Pour broth mixture over lamb and vegetables. Add tomato, corn and peas and simmer 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
4. Spread lamb and vegetable mixture in the bottom of the baking dish. Spread sweet potatoes in a layer on top of the lamb. Bake for 30 min.